Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mean Mothers

I am reading a book called "Mean Mothers". It is almost too painful to discuss. Many painful memories have come back, without the filter I have used "She was an alcoholic" "She didn't mean that" "She was raised that way". Mom made spaghetti squash for dinner one night. We hated it. SS is not a bad thing to make, and it certainly is annoying when you go to the effort and people don't appreciate it. Still, it somewhat spiraled into a horrible, revolting experience. It was decided by my dad that my mother should be allowed to sit in the living room and insult us because we did not like what she made. We were not allowed to talk back. My mother looked at me and said "Of course, you are a QUEEN". I guess because I was designated the 'sensitive one' and my mother resented the 'sensitive' handling I received. I opened my mouth to defend myself and my father said "Shh!" Why? Why was she allowed to lose control of herself and be cruel? Why was I treated like a piece of garbage? She was a mean mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment